• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

fiber sucks

asecin

Bluelighter
guys i need some help over fiber problem.
i used to not shit a lot so i started eating a lot of fiber but then i was shitting too often and i feel real tired.
i realized fiber interferes with absorption of vital nutrients. :\

so what do u recommend i do. i still need fiber BUT i also need vital nutrients.
i was thinking, i consume fiber hours before i have meat and diary products for vitamins OR do i consume fiber foods hours after ? :\

I would only consume meat and/or dairy products together. Eating high fibrous foods along with that may upset your stomach with the consumption of yin and yang foods. Also, I disagree with your statement of fiber sucking; it has helped my bowels move much more smoothly and I do not feel bloated unless I eat junk food now.

I recommend eating more fibrous foods more often, plus making sure not to eat them and meat/dairy products at the same meal.

i didnt say it sucks for any other reason but its interference with vital nutrients.

i agree tho it helps with shit, its only and best reason to be used but i guess people need to realize too much of anything is bad. too much fiber is definately gonna cause malnutrition and also diarrhea and diuretic effect. this is why i made topic with IT SUCKS.

So what do you think about the advice? Maybe give that a try and see how it works for you?

I agree with mgmt; Can you post a link where this information was present? I think you might be mistaken / taking information a bit too far.

The only nutrients I've heard of fiber interfering with are if you already have a deficiency in something, say iron, and you take an iron supplement or an iron-rich food with something *very* high in fiber (something along the lines of a laxative, like prunes or prune juice), that not all the iron will get absorbed.

But hey, that's only from ADA-accredited dietetics courses. I'm sure some website by Joe Schmoe can refute that claim!

^ uh logic ? the nature of fiber substance forms bulk with food and passes it through intestine intact.

but yeh i read it on internet few times and on many high fiber supplements.
i find urls when i get home tho.

I'd also like to see some proof for your hypothesis here...

I eat a lot of fiber and I'm not wasting away or losing muscle mass. If your idea had any validity, vegans and vegetarians would be dropping like flies.

Yeah.

It's ridiculous to say that fiber's bad for you. There's a ton of it in fruits and veggies. If you're gonna start saying that fruit is toxic, that's when I jump off a bridge.

wow you guys do not understand me at all.
im not saying fiber is bad for you, or that its toxic as this applecore persona says.
im saying, the substance that fiber is and how it reacts with humans, it forms a sticky bulk that collects anything in its path. why do you think fiber cleanses system of toxins ? it binds to them and embodies them in its bulky sticky nature. now, what are the vitamins and minerals, and protein even ? they can be difficult to isolate by your body, and enzyme will have longer time to process and being able to adhere unless they have enough time and freedom to do so. like, break down in the intestine usually.
NOW, this is the hard part, use your logic and try to analyze how fiber is like in nature from what i stated above and come up with your own conclusions, hopefully of reason.

jeez fucking christ everyone relies on knowledge they get from children's books on fiber.

Yeah.

It's ridiculous to say that fiber's bad for you. There's a ton of it in fruits and veggies. If you're gonna start saying that fruit is toxic, that's when I jump off a bridge.

a lot of fruits and vegetables can be toxic. and even fruits and vegatables popular in edible marketing can be toxic in excess to all, or mainly certain individuals. your point ?

^ Then don't make a thread entitled "fiber sucks". 8)

man title doesnt make the discussion alone. it is the content. jeez
fiber sucks for me cuz i have problems with it, but if you love it so much, fine i apologize for offending it :/

I'd also like to see some proof for your hypothesis here...

I eat a lot of fiber and I'm not wasting away or losing muscle mass. If your idea had any validity, vegans and vegetarians would be dropping like flies.

depends. vegetarians do need lots more food than non-vegetarians. and i met many, personal friends some, who have anemia or some other related conditions. none of them were really resilient, strong looking (prolly cuz high percent of them were women) , BUT im not saying all of them are. just ones i personally met or saw.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ haha learn to multi-quote please asecin. It's the little button in the bottom right corner of messages to the right of the "Quote" button.

Back on topic, lack of fibre sucks far more than too much fibre.

Absorption of Nutrients Is Only Slightly Reduced

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/12/2446.short

Absorption of Nutrients Is Only Slightly Reduced by Supplementing Enteral Formulas with Viscous Fiber in Miniature Pigs

Abstract

Viscous polysaccharides reduce intestinal absorption of glucose and diminish postprandial hyperglycemia. However, it is unknown whether viscous fiber also inhibits absorption of nutrients under conditions of enteric feeding. Therefore, we measured the absorption rates of nutrients in miniature pigs by perfusing a 150-cm length of jejunum with 8.37 kJ/min of the three following enteral diets: an isoosmotic oligomeric diet (1670 kJ/L), a hyperosmotic oligomeric diet and an isoosmotic polymeric diet (both 3350 kJ/L). The diets were supplemented with guar gum from 0 to 4.4 g/L. With the three guar-free diets, the mean absorption rate of energy was 5.2 ± 0.32 kJ/min, corresponding to 62% of the energy infused. Absorption rates of carbohydrate, protein, fat and energy linearly declined as concentrations of guar or the logarithm of chyme viscosity increased. Due to modulations in viscosity, the inhibitory effects of guar were significantly different among the three diets. With the isoosmotic and hyperosmotic oligomeric and the polymeric diets, the addition of 1 g guar/L diminished the absorption of energy by 9.7, 6.6 and 3.7%, respectively. The strong inhibitory effect on nutrient absorption with the isoosmotic oligomeric diet was caused by an increase in chyme viscosity due to water absorption. With the hyperosmotic oligomeric and the polymeric diets, the chyme viscosity and thus inhibitory effects on absorption were diminished by water secretion and the concomitant infusion of pancreatic enzymes. Results indicate that the addition of small amounts of guar gum to enteral diets of high energy density exerts only small effects on absorption of nutrients.

OP needs to hit the books a bit more... fiber significantly inhibits cholesterol, not nutrients. If that were the case, then people wouldn't be able to survive a raw food diet. I know of several that have eaten a diet consisting of 100% raw vegan foods, for years. Anyway, don't you think that your lethargy is probably because you have cut back your caloric and protein intake? Additionally, clearing out your intestines and colon can be exhausting, particularly if you don't do it very often.

Last edited:
a lot of fruits and vegetables can be toxic. and even fruits and vegatables popular in edible marketing can be toxic in excess to all, or mainly certain individuals.
Oh, really? Which ones? 8)

man title doesnt make the discussion alone. it is the content. jeez
fiber sucks for me cuz i have problems with it
But the title informs people what they should expect when they click it. If you want a discussion all on how much fiber sucks (or whatever you want the discussion to be on), maybe you should consider starting a blog? There you won't get unwanted feedback. ;)

vegetarians do need lots more food than non-vegetarians. and i met many, personal friends some, who have anemia or some other related conditions. none of them were really resilient, strong looking (prolly cuz high percent of them were women) , BUT im not saying all of them are. just ones i personally met or saw.
I need less food now than I did when I was eating meat. I need less food now than when I was eating processed foods. Why? Because I am making better food choices, eating more nutrient-dense food.

And, for the record, how do you know someone is a Vegetarian from looking at them? ;) That's like saying you know someone is racist from looking at them.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/12/2446.short

OP needs to hit the books a bit more... fiber significantly inhibits cholesterol, not nutrients. If that were the case, then people wouldn't be able to survive a raw food diet. I know of several that have eaten a diet consisting of 100% raw vegan foods, for years. Anyway, don't you think that your lethargy is probably because you have cut back your caloric and protein intake? Additionally, clearing out your intestines and colon can be exhausting, particularly if you don't do it very often.

This post pretty much sums up this entire thread.

Agreed. It reduces the body's ability *slightly* to absorb some nutrients, but that is because fiber helps the stool travel through the body quicker, giving the intestines less time to absorb the nutrients in the food.

As long as you're eating healthy, this reduction of your body's ability to absorb nutrients will not make you feel lethargic. It's miniscule compared to the amount your body DOES absorb from foods that have a great amount of nutrients.

even moses told his ancient cronies to keep breads and meats 12 hours apart in the diet!

fiberous foods, excluding vegetables, are commonly carbohydrates. these produce an alkaline medium in the stomach. proteins require an acidic medium in the stomach. basic chemistry shows that this produces a neutral medium that doesnt digest anything.

also, unlike stated above, dont mix dairy and meats together. most proteins require digestion in different areas of the stomach, and wont digest well when mixed.

you could always do something like eat a few tablespoons of organic psyllium seed powder right when you wake up. after an hour or two, eat a fruit/vegetable/carbohydrate based breakfast. if youre planning a protein breakfast, then skip the psyllium seed that day.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/psyllium_seed.php

(although they suck donkey cock at handling ecommerce, mntn rs hrbs above is a kickass site for holistic/organic dietary supplements).

lastly, dont consume microwaved foods, canned foods, processed foods, inhumanely raised/inorganic meats, pasteurized dairy, refined white flower, refined sugars, artificial sugars, and minimize wheat products for a while. see how that affects your digestive system after 6 months.

rm-rf what do u mean they suck cock at ecommerce ? i ordered from them only once and it took 2 weeks to come over. i order from other places, takes 3 days.
anyway i paid way more for shipping than usual and yet they sent so fucking late ? ridiculous.